Christians Caring For Creation
Prayers for January 2012
Dear CCC Prayer Partners,
Thank you for standing together at the Throne of Grace, praying in the POWERFUL NAME of JESUS, for our LORD's precious creation and those who are working to protect it. We have new Praises and Prayer Requests, and always appreciate your input for the CCC prayer network.
Grizzly bears living in the Yellowstone ecosystem will keep their endangered species protections after a federal appeals court rejected the government's four-year effort to strip the bears of their safeguards. This is a PRAISE!
1) The Northern Gateway pipeline, proposed by energy giant, Enbridge, would transport Alberta tar sands crude oil through the coastal rain forest habitat of some 400 remaining Spirit Bears. Enbridge's track record is alarming! The company has been responsible for 80 pipeline spills in 2010, including a spill of nearly a million gallons of tar sands oil into Michigan's Kalamazoo River. PLEASE PRAY the Canadian Joint Review Panel, that is going to determine whether or not the Northern Gateway pipeline will be built, will vote to STOP the building of this pipeline. Thank you.
2) The Obama Administration has agreed to strip wolves of their endangered species protection in Wyoming. This puts the fate of Wyoming's wolves in the hands of state officials, who have proposed allowing the animals to be shot on sight across almost 90% of the state. PLEASE PRAY for these endangered and embattled animals, that the Obama Administration will REVERSE the decision and will leave the Wyoming wolves endangered species protections in place. Thank you.
3) The Orange County Interfaith Coalition for the Environment (OCICE) will be presenting a "Solar Nights" workshop in Orange County, on Thursday, Feb. 9, from 7-9 p.m., at Church of the Foothills, 19211 Dodge Ave., Santa Ana, CA. Utility reps. will be sharing up-to-date and valuable information to assist congregations who are ready to go solar, or just curious. The presentations will include energy efficiency strategies to lower your energy consumption with no or minimal investment, given by So. Calif. Edison and Energy Upgrade California. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) During its annual "Washington Week" gathering this year, the National Religious Coalition on Creation Care (NRCCC) is partnering with the National Cathedral and Blessed Earth to proclaim and spread the message of the critical need for Creation Care. There will be a service at the National Cathedral on Earth Day (Sunday, April 22), followed by a Prayer Luncheon, at which NRCCC will present its annual "Steward of Creation" award to Wendell Berry. The next day, Monday, NRCCC will be hosting a conference that brings together voices from the faith, scientific, medical, and military communities, re: the seriousness of climate change. PLEASE PRAY the HOLY SPIRIT will take over the plans, planners, speakers, and attendees at these events; that JESUS' words will be brought forth; and, that GOD's WILL will be done before, during, and after these gatherings. Also, PLEASE PRAY that the HOLY SPIRIT will go before those who will be visiting politicians' offices; that JESUS will speak through the NRCCC; and, that our LORD will touch hearts and minds, and bring about change in DC that will lead to the protection and restoration of GOD's precious creation! Thank you.
5) PLEASE PRAY for VICTORIES in the 9th Circuit and the Federal Court for Rachel Fazio (John Muir Project), as she strives for the protection of National Forests and the creatures that live therein, through the "Moonlight", "Twin Peaks", "Angorra", and EXF cases. Thank you.
6) New research by a team of researchers from the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies and James Cook University shows the disastrous consequences the world's rising carbon dioxide levels are having on ocean life. A member of the research team, Professor Munday, issued a stark warning: "We've found that elevated CO2 in the oceans can directly interfere with fish neurotransmitter functions, which poses a direct and previously unknown threat to sea life. Around 2.3 billion tons of human CO2 emissions dissolve into the world's oceans every year, causing changes in the chemical environment of the water in which fish and other species live." PLEASE PRAY these studies and others will spur our country's politicians to pass legislation that will serve to lower our CO2 emissions. If you are interested in working on this issue, contact Fred Krueger at: Fred@Ecostewards.org
7) The giant otter is the largest of the otter species and is highly endangered. They are native to the tropical rainforests of South America, and their habitat is being destroyed by logging and other human activities. PLEASE PRAY for them and all the creatures who are fighting to survive. Thank you.
Genesis 1:20-22 (NRSV)
Psalm 145:17 (NIV)
By the power of CHRIST,